The homegrown tomatoes taste much better than those available in the market and do you know that if they are produced from the heirloom tomato seeds, they will taste even better! It’s very easy to grow tomatoes at home and with numerous health benefits, they can definitely keep illness and diseases at bay. Heirloom tomato seeds provide the best results when you are thinking of nurturing a small garden in your house.
Heirloom Tomato Seeds
Tomatoes that are developed specifically for the commercial purpose have certain traits due to which they remain best till they are sold in the marketplace. Such tomatoes have much thicker skin. Aside from this, they have amazing resistance to various insects or pests and ripen in a gradually. All these qualities are quite useful for the big farms where they have to ship huge quantities to the distant marketplaces but such tomatoes lack certain nutrients and have a different taste than traditional tomatoes.
Heirloom tomato seeds are available in numerous varieties and are different from the usual tomato seeds in the fact that they are passed down through numerous generations. Such tomatoes have been here since decades. Though, we now have some new varieties in them, but they are mostly created by the process of cross pollination or by crossing two traditional varieties of tomatoes.
Can you grow heirloom tomatoes easily?
It is not cumbersome to grow tomatoes from the heirloom tomato seeds and you can purchase them from their suppliers. Once you grow tomatoes from such seeds, you can keep few seeds for the next year.
Though process of growing tomatoes by using heirloom seeds is same as for other varieties, but you will be really amazed by the difference in the flavor of tomatoes that are obtained from heirloom tomatoes seeds. By following the exact growing instructions, you can definitely harvest delicious tomatoes. Another advantage of such tomatoes is that you get much bigger fruit than what you get from the stores. As heirloom tomatoes are not bred for perfection, you may find the fruit in odd shapes with several types of marks on them. However, all these things do not alter their excellent taste in any way.
Heirloom Tomato Seeds – The Conclusion
Ways to save the heirloom tomatoes seeds
1. You just have to choose your heirloom tomato and then slice the fruit into half.
2. Scoop out the seed from this tomato and then place them in some bowl.
3. Add some water in the bowl and mix it with the seeds.
4. Now cover this bowl using a plastic wrap having some holes on the top side for good air circulation. Seeds will ferment in a much better way.
5. You should place this bowl in a warm area in order to get the desired results within 5 to 6 days.
6. You should inspect the bowl every day so that you are aware of the fermenting stage.
7. After six days, when the liquid turns black, you should place the seeds in the kitchen sieve and wash them thoroughly with water.
8. You can now place the tomato seeds at some safe place for drying. These heirloom tomato seeds can be stored in a paper or plastic bag once they are dry.